BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Help all I want is junk...

Lately all I have wanted to eat is junk...mainly sweets. I want to eat a WHOLE PACK of cookies. I know I am not "hungry" for this food, but I think emotionally my body thinks I am. Is that possible?

I have had a BAD BAD flareup of my fibromyalgia and I am not taking my medicine because we can't afford it with no job and no insurance so this flare up is about killing me in pain. So when I hurt I get grumpy and want to eat sugar. My darling hubby has put up with me SOOO well. But man I am a grump when I hurt. And eating a bunch of crap doesn't help me feel better.

To try to fix this tonight I bought some healthier snacks...almonds, apples, carrots, weight watchers ice cream bars. I hope I can kick this sugar fiend in the but. Any good tips?

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Pain is a tricky thing, when we're in pain it triggers a response in our brains. Basically it wants us to eat things that will trigger a release of feel good hormones to help us cope with the pain (and the foods that do that are sugary things). Puts you at war with your body and mind. I'm really sorry you're going through that. Try and minimize the "damage" you do with food as much as possible. Something I've found is that nut butters (peanut or almond) give me a similar "feel good" response and they are low carb so they won't affect blood glucose as much. Especially for you, keeping your blood sugar low(er) is going to be so important. Wish I had some huge insight to give you, but I really don't. Being aware of the hormonal response is helpful, but not always. Hope you feel better soon. Eat lots of foods high in good fats and that may help... Good luck!!

REBYRYAN said...

I wish there was a magical way to want to stay away from it. I seem to go through waves where I want nothing but junk vs. not really having a hard time staying away from it. I have found though that the more I give in to the cravings, the more I want. I always thought a little indulgence would help get me past it, but that hasn't been the case for me.

That's not to say that you should totally deprive yourself because I don't think that method works either. I guess it's just a matter of finding a happy medium.

I also find that nut butters help. Not sure why that is but that has gotten me through a lot of craving episodes! I don't know how honey affects you but that is something I have been using a lot of as a natural sweet fix. I've put it in oatmeal, in smoothies, on whole grain breads.

Be strong! Sorry about the pain...and the job situation. This too shall pass.... :)